RTL-SDR spectrum analyzer program by Clint McLean
For detection of frequencies that could be used for electronic harassment
Protocol (written/suggested by infobook)
1. Obtain an RTL2832U-R820T2 dongle preferably with an antenna such as the first item of the RTL-SDR store at this link
(Note: the R820T2 tuner chip receives frequencies from 25MHz to 1700MHz)
2. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer for installation and use with a suggested driver. If a driver is not indicated, you may use SDR# (SDR “Sharp”) which
is the most commonly used SDR program on Windows (refer to https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/).
3. To test that the dongle is working correctly, try to tune to a FM radio station of your choice by selecting its frequency in MHz and using FM demodulation, in
order to demodulate the signal and listen to the broadcast (the sound that is modulated on the electromagnetic wave).
4. It is suggested to place the antenna of your dongle for instance on your desk by your PC at a distance of 20 cm from yourself. You can do this while working on
your computer. The system will run the analysis unattended.
6. Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file “SDRSpectrumAnalyzer-master.zip”.
7. Navigate to subfolder “Build” and double-click on the executable file “RTLSpectrumAnalyzerGUI.exe”.
8. The “Welcome” screen will appear. Click on OK.
9. The “QuickStart” screen will appear. You may deselect “Near Far Automatic Analysis” and "Load previous Session Data" initially. You may deselect “Launch on
Startup”, if you do not wish that the program is initiated each time you start up your computer.
10. If you wish to conduct an analysis with the default values of Start Frequency of 410 MHz, End Frequency of 490 MHz and Step size of 1000 Hz click on OK.
11. Otherwise, close the screen and select values. Then, click on Record Near Series to obtain a series of measurements while the antenna is at a distance of
approximately 20 cm from yourself.
12. The time of measurement is to be decided. You will notice that instead of time, there is number of frames acquired.
13. Click on Stop Recording. Place the antenna away from you and click on Record Far Series to obtain a series of measurements while the antenna is located far away
14. Examine “Interesting signals”.